Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Give me a fucking break

I try to be positive and have faith in our society. I really, really want to believe that we will evolve, but then I read something like this and I think, 'how can we get outta this skanky hole we've made for ourselves?'

To me, this is an illustration of how absurd, trivial and just plain ridiculous we've become as a society and culture and it doesn't give me much cause for hope.


Tiger Woods' Affairs Cost Billions in Stock Market
LiveScience.com

Tiger Woods' extramarital affairs could cost you if you hold stock in a company he sponsors or a mutual fund that holds stock in those companies.

A new study - not yet published in a journal - finds the market value lost to companies that had the golfer as a sponsor is already as high as $12 billion.

The estimate is separate from whatever money Woods himself may lose as a result of his missteps. The golfer was thought to make about $100 million a year in endorsement income.

2 comments:

Herbert Weaver said...

I always found it fascinating how the market started off sensibly enough when fortunes were based on actual commodities like gold, coal, food, etc. But then it all went abstract with futures trading, the dot com bubble, hedge funds and stuff. I'm totally unsurprised that Tiger Woods' reputation is now a commodity like any other.

But there is an upside. I remember years ago, an Australian millionaire setting up a wildlife reserve and selling stocks in endangered species. Investors made money if, say, the koalas had babies and lost if a koala died. The guy brilliantly used the abstract concept of futures trading to the betterment of the world. Shame no-one seems to have followed his lead. Wouldn't it be great if rich fucks got to profit on their stocks the more people were housed. And also lost the more people are made homeless? If there was any morality to capitalism, people would be losing money the more people lost health insurance and profiting when the figures went down.

W. Va. Fur and Root said...

Rumors aside, I've never EVEN met Tiger Woods.

With that said, Happy New Year, Saggie!

Connie