Thursday, November 1, 2007

Justice is adjusted. . . a little. . .

But we still have a long ways to go. Anyone who has sat in a courtroom and watched a white cocaine dealer get two years probation and then a black kid who was dealing crack get 10 years in the federal pen knows that this is too little too late.

Crack cocaine sentencing go into effect
WASHINGTON - New federal sentencing guidelines for crack cocaine offenders went into effect Thursday, lowering the recommended sentencing range for people caught with the drug.

The new U.S. Sentencing Commission guidelines for those possessing 5 grams or more of crack cocaine are prison terms of 51 months to 63 months, down from the old range of 63 months to 78 months. The new range for offenders possessing at least 50 grams is 97 months to 121 months in prison, down from 121 months to 151 months. Those ranges apply for first-time crack-cocaine convictions. . .

Federal law sets a mandatory minimum five-year prison sentence for trafficking in 5 grams of crack cocaine. It takes 500 grams of cocaine powder to warrant the same sentence. The crack-powder disparity has a strong racial dimension because more than four-fifths of crack cocaine offenders in federal courts last year were black.

11 comments:

FreeOscar said...

I love crack. It makes me feel like a cracker.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

Is that an improvement for you?

FreeOscar said...

I wanted to share with you a case a judge ruled in VA. Since you've had several posts about S.S. Pigs It was pretty awesome.

AngryMan said...

Sentencing guidelines are terrible judges should have the ability to sentence as they see fit.
But I'm surprised that I care about that because I'm apparently racist. If only I could perfect like Sagacious Hillbilly.

FreeOscar said...

AngryMan,

Too bad your grammar can't be perfect either.

AngryMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AngryMan said...

I know, it's because I'm a racist. Sagacious is so wise and got to the truth of me. I'm really Don Imus at heart because I make jokes to annoy him just like he does to me. I'm such a bigot.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

Crag, Interesting stuff by a progressive judge. There are a few left. I hope the next time a black kid is brought before his court for having been stopped for being black he will be as judicious.

Slightlyannoyedman, keep trying. There is probably hope for you.

FreeOscar said...

I want all judges to question the next time anyone gets stopped because the Pigs have nothing else to do but harass & intimidate citizens. No matter what color or if they are acting "way too nice" and "extremely polite".

There was one case of a teenager driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway & the PigRanger pulled the girl out of the truck by her blonde ponytail for no "just" reason.

Attorneymom said...

Crack is wack. Crack or drug dealers are even wacker. Drug users are selfish individuals.

I truly support sentencing guidelines. I do not trust these crazy azz judges.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

So Mom, you don't think that sentencing guidelines target specific classes of people while letting other classes of people off with hand slaps?