Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Strange World of Blogs

I've been cruising blogs, writing stuff here and leaving messages on other blogs for about 6-8 month and frankly, I still don't get a lot of it.

I read a lot of political blogs. While I don't agree with some of what I read, they're mostly all informational with some homespun humor or analogies thrown in now and again.

Sometimes I stumble onto non-political informational blogs. . . blogs about farming, raising possums, model airplanes, cooking or space travel . . . stuff. These are sometimes very informative and at other times boring and of little value. They are, nonetheless, the creation of someone interested in something outside themselves that interests them and most likely others. Most of the time, they reflect some degree of creativity and harmless interest on the part of their author. That's always a plus for a human being in my book.

The blogs I don't get, and the ones that make the least amount of sense to me are the ones that deal with nothing but or mostly about a person's personal life. WTF? Who cares about reading a step by step description about the last time you took a shit and what color it was. What would possibly make you think anyone does? How sick you are or how drunk you got last night is of no interest to me or anyone else with any degree of intellect. But wait, those blogs seem to be the ones that get the most attention. "I woke up this morning with a gigantic knot on my head and a sore ass and I don't remember what happened to me last night" seems to get rave reviews from readers, while "A concise and deliberate withdrawal of troops with a comprehensive plan of succession is mandated in Iraq" goes unnoticed.
Wow! You're posting to an internet page how sick you are. Snot is drizzling out of your nose and you keep shitting yourself. That only proves you're an idiot with a poorly created sphincter. Shut the fuck up.

Let's face it: America has been gumped. Stupidity and ignorance is valued. We have become lulled into being entertained by the mundane and the uncreative.

Sure, no one should care if some unaccomplished bozo in middle America has shit that floats of sinks, but alas, many do. What my mother said, the boss or my wife did, my son's acne problems or my girl friend's menstrual condition should go unnoticed to the outside world, but alas, all those conditions of life seem to have very interested fans in the world of blogging. Seems the more personal and graphic a blogger gets about very intimate personal conditions, the greater the fan base.

Same goes for those who give blow by blow details of their small pitiful circle of friends. Ya know, the personal interactions of some bumpkin in Milwaukee and their moronic sounding friends in Waukegan really ought not be of interest to anyone outside that sorry little circle. But again, such boring, insignificant goings on seem to garner great interest. Obviously, there is a lot of vicarious living going on here in the world of blogging.

Now I realize that many of these great thinkers have nothing else to contribute and perhaps, it's god therapy for them to review their pitiful lives by putting down on a web page, but hey, why don't you try journaling. One of these days someone is going to find out who you are and maybe even know you and it will be revealed to the world what a gigantic wanker you truly are.

g'luck moron.

Oh, and one more thing:

Text Messaging

WTF?! You're doing it on a fucking phone. Why don't you just use the god damn thing and quit looking like you're playing some dumb video game (we'll cover them in another post). What the fuck is the matter with you people? If anyone ever "text messaged" me on my cell phone and I somehow stumbled upon it, I would hunt them down and shove their fucking tiny little keyboard equiped phone up their ignorant ass. Then I would take their index fingers and stick them up their nose so far they could scratch the back of their eyeballs and tell them "text message that you fucking weenie punk."
Yea, that's what I'd do! Fuckin eh.
Oh dear, did I say "fuck" again. Sorry Rick. I hope you're alright.

5 comments:

Just Marlon said...

Those "personal" blogs of which you speak are just a reflection of the dumbing down of most people in out society. You can also see that by looking at the television ratings of "reality shows" as compared to the news programs. The really great blogs manage to blend personal stories with something that's fairly relevant.
I'm a broadcast major and the number one thing I've been taught is: "be careful of what you say and how you say it, because overall the public is ignorant."

SagaciousHillbilly said...

Wow. So there is a recognition in todays journalism departments that the audience has been gumped?
I wonder; was that the perception and message given 25 years ago?

Phoebe Fay said...

I confess. I do the text messaging thing. Because I pretty much hate talking on the phone. Especially for inane things. Texting is easier for some things, like tonight, MP is traveling. He sent me texts letting me know when he got on the plane and when he landed. We didn't need to have a conversation, and since he's in a noisy airport, it would have been hard to have a conversation anyway. The text serves the purpose much better. Yes, voicemail would work, too, but that takes longer. And half the time it's hard to understand.

As for the "today I managed to dress myself and feed myself blogs," I mostly ignore them, unless someone's an extraordinarily good writer. Good writing and interesting ideas, that's pretty much what I look for.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

Yea Ms. Fay, texting has its place. In fact, I got one the other day from my son that was pretty cool. He was in a situation where he couldn't use his phone but he really wanted to let me know what was going on and what he was experiencing. It was the first an only text message he or anyone else ever sent me.
I didn't hunt him down and shove his cell phone up his ass.

Blonde Goddess said...

I've kept a blog for almost six years now. Most of that time it was private and I didn't allow anyone else to read it.
Was it disgusting and boring drivel?
Probably.
In fact I'm sure it's got the same useless crap in it that my blog does now.
So why did I decide to go public with it and subject people to my idiocy?

I'm a moron...apparently.

I'm an underachiever and uneducated idiot.
See? Even dumb people can be honest.

So why did I go public? Why share my ignorance with the rest of the universe?
It may serve a purpose.
If it gives people a laugh, great.
I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm just writing to have fun...or vent...or just purge the pitifully stupid thoughts from my head.

Who knows? There might be people who read my blog because it makes them feel grateful they're not an idiot like me.
I suppose this means my blog helps them to feel more intelligent and superior to other people and well...isn't that a great way to bolster a self-esteem?

It would seem that I'm serving a purpose...
People do seem to judge their own worth based on how inept other people are, don't they?

I read your blog but with my limited intelligence it's hard for me to comment on any of your posts. I really DO try to understand all of the big words and political things, but it's terribly hard for me.

I think I'll keep reading it though, because I do enjoy your observations and opinions and find your blog very informative. I don't always agree with what you say, but I respect you for being honest and saying it.

I think that's what draws me to a blog.....

Honesty...