Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crustless Quiche, cold weather, and hope

You don't have to include a high carb crust when you make quiche.

1 package chopped spinach, chopped some more
1 1/4" slice of ham diced
3 Crispy slices of bacon
2 tbl chopped onion
2 tbl chopped jalapeno
1 clove minced garlic
4 or 5 fresh from the hen house 100% organic eggs
<1/4c cream
goat cheese, finely grated parmaisan cheese (I use a micro plane), shredded sharp cheddar

2 tbl mayonaise
1 tbl butter
1 tbl cream cheese

Heat the butter and cream cheese in the micro for 15 second or so and blend together. In a separate little bowl, whip the mayo till it's creamy. Mix butter and cream cheese with mayo till it's thoroughly mixed and creamy.

Sweat the onions, jalapeno, garlic, ham and bacon in a pan w/ olive oil. . . just for a minute or two to make the onion barely translucent.

Separate the yolks from the whites putting the whites into a larger bowl. Whip the whites with a wisk until they're foamy and just beginning to show signs of peaking. You're just wanting to get some air into them, not make a merengue.

Mix the cream into the yolks, now mix all the other ingredients except the cheddar together with the yolks and cream. Break the goat cheese into little pieces a 1/4 inch or smaller before mixing. Add the mayo mixture.

Now pour this mess into the whipped egg whites and gently but thoroughly fold together. Pour the whole thing into a casserole or pie pan and bake at 350. After about 20 or 30 minutes, depending upon the depth of your pan, sprinkle the cheddar over the top and let bake another 10-15 minutes. Times may vary.

Buen provecho

Now the battle begins. The pound come off slowly from here on out. No more one or two pounds a day. The easy stuff has been burned. Now I've gotta show some real restraint and eat less of all these low/no carb foods. No slacking or back sliding. No, "I'll just have this one little piece of cake" bullshit. Once you give yourself permission to have one, it's a downhill slide back up to 225 (don't ya just love conflicting metaphors? or is that just a Yogiism?).


The temp around here is down in the low teens. Brrrrr. It's fucking cold. Hard to believe I was in Florida 10 days ago cruising in my boat with beautiful women in bikinis on the bow. This sucks.
Condolences to MacDaddy up there in Minneapolis where it's REALLY cold and my poor son who just this past Mon. temporarily moved to Milwaukee and will be leaving for Eau Claire, WI for a couple of months in the next couple weeks.
SonnyBoy, Go buy some warm clothes!


Hurry January 20th. I can hardly take another day of the MoronMonkeyBoy Bush the Chimp as president of the United States. Who could have believed that an administration could fuck up the United States of America as bad as this one did. Who could have believed that after the first four year, the ignorant proles would have elected him again. It makes me realize what a vile, ignorant, bunch of low dwelling morons make up a solid core of the electorate.
But who knows, maybe it's exactly what we needed to get to where we are today with perhaps one who will be one of the greatest presidents ever about to be inaugurated. A man of African-American descent. . . holy shit, it really happened!!!!
Savor this wonderful time.
REJOICE!

9 comments:

crystal dawn said...

Man Hillbilly, you lost close to 10 lbs in a week! Be careful there Bud! I'm very surprised that the Adkins diet works this well considering all the cheese and mayo you get to eat. Do you plan on eating carbs again after you lose the weight, and if so, I wonder if that will put the weight back on more quickly??

btw, thanks for the recipe...sounds yummy!

Mike said...

Wow, I "go away" for awhile, then come back and discover that you've added dieting to your website's content.

Good luck with the weight loss, SH. May you reach your goal weight quickly and safely.

Buzzardbilly said...

Kudos on the weight loss. That quiche recipe looks damned yummy. Aslo, there's a treat for you over at my blog. A rare "Saggy was right" moment awaits you, complete with coming right out to say it. Enjoy, Incredible Shrinking Grumble Buddy.

themom said...

Great on the weight loss. And you can never convince me that Monkey Boy Bush was ever re-elected!!! (at least not legally)

Unknown said...

I am so happy to see someone else participating in the Carb Deprivation Torture Diet. Misery loves company, you know.

Really, it's not that bad once you get used to it. There are a lot of things I used to eat that don't even appeal to me now so it hasn't been too difficult maintaining a low-carb diet for over a year now. Not at 20g/day anymore, but still much lower than most people so I can keep it off. I don't plan to ever go back to eating the way I used to.

Do you use Dreamfield's pasta? It's one of the keys to my low-carb happiness. That and butter.

Good luck. Keep sharing the recipes, too.

TriState Saver said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I definitely need to jump on this band wagon!

Quiche is one of my all time favorites and look forward to giving your version a try!

j said...

crustless quiche, cold weather and hope... that is one of the best post titles ever.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

Thank you, Judy.

MountainLaurel said...

Thanks for posting that recipe. I've thought for a while about the low-carb bit to lose 30 of the 50 pounds I put on about 5 years ago. (Hey, I thought I was too thin when I began the weight gain thing.) This recipe makes me think that I really could do this and be happy with it. I adore cheese and crackers. Is there a crackers alternative?