Sunday, January 11, 2009

That carb craving

I'm gettin tired of this diet and I've only been on it for a week. What I really crave are some mashed potatoes with lots of butter, salt and pepper. . . maybe some garlic and onion mashed in with them. Yea, I need a big dose of carbs. Unfortunately, if I take a big dose of carbs, it will knock my system out of whack and it'll take a couple days to get back into the groove I'm now in where my body is burning fat at an incredible rate to make the carbs/ simple sugars that I'm not getting. So what do I do?
Well, I have a semi-satisfying solution.

Mashed cauliflower. . .
If you don't like cauliflower, this dish aint for you cause it does taste like cauliflower. If you can stand cauliflower, you might actually like this one. If you already like cauliflower, you're gonna thank me for this:

Take one head of cauliflower, cut it up and steam or boil until very tender. I like to steam or cook mine slow to keep the nutrients from leaching out into the water a little less.
Drain well. No, really, drain well otherwise your dish will be water logged. I actually press it all flat on the bottom of the pan with a masher to get some of the water out. . . I know, I'm losing a lot of nutrients when I do, but this dish really does have tendency to come out too wet.
Add salt and pepper and then mash the hell out of it. I use a hand mixer. . . one of those boat motor type things. After it's good and creamy, add some blanched onion bits, garlic and crumbled bacon along with a couple table spoons of cream cheese. Put just enough small onion pieces in to give it some taste (onion is high in carbs). Now mash it all together some more.

What you've got now is a white creamy goodness that will satisfy that urge for mashed potatoes to go along with your fried pork tenderloin or any other piece of meat you decide to cook. Go ahead, cover it with butter. There aint no carbs in butter!

One head of cauliflower contains ~25 gms of carb. Add to that the onion and a couple grams from the cream cheese and you might hit 30 grams of carbs for this whole pot of delish. Don't eat the whole damn pot full and you'll be well below the 20 gram per day carb limit I keep to when I'm doing this diet.

One medium sized potato, which is hardly big enough for a serving of mashed potaoes weighs in at almost 40 grams of carbs.
I'd be eatin two of those in a decent serving of mashed up taters.

5 comments:

rainywalker said...

Sagacious, that cauliflower sounds pretty good so I am going to try it. I have a friend [83] also who is trying to loose weight, he has a bad heart. Just as long as it has some salt and pepper. Keep at it and thanks for the recipe.

themom said...

I love mashed cauliflower - although it comes in far behind a bowl of homemade mashed potatoes - must be the Irish in me.

crystal dawn said...

I sneak cauliflower in my 2 year old's mashed potatoes. I just heat the cauliflower up in the microwave, mash it, and swirl it in the potatoes. Works so far.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

CD, Does your 2 yr old look like Arroz?! . . . without the huffing jones?

crystal dawn said...

No Hillbilly....I thought we cleared that up already. jeesh! Besides, arroz isn't even human what with that huge misshapen head of his and hayfield of back hair.