Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hunting with bait

U.S. snipers accused of 'baiting' Iraqis
By PAULINE JELINEK and ROBERT BURNS, Associated Press Writers
WASHINGTON - Army snipers hunting insurgents in Iraq were under orders to "bait" their targets with suspicious materials, such as detonation cords, and then kill whoever picked up the items, according to the defense attorney for a soldier accused of planting evidence on an Iraqi he killed. Gary Myers, an attorney for Sgt. Evan Vela, said his client had acted "pursuant to orders."



When I was a kid, we once began throwing bread in the pond by our house while standing on the dock and then shooting the fish that came to the top with our bb guns. Somebody came along and made us stop. It was an older woman and she told us we were being "barbaric." I shamefully agreed with her.
To this day, it is illegal in this state to bait deer while hunting. . . you can't hunt where there is or has been a salt lick or feeder. It's considered unfair.
What kind of monsterous scumbags do we have running the military? Are these accusations anything less than barbaric? Do they go beyond "barbaric?"
Hell, when I was a teenager, we'd investigate anything. We'd pick up anything and carry it away to either later discard alongside the road or maybe keep, thinking we'd "make something out of it." I remember my dad cleaning out the garage a few years after I left home and commenting on the stupid stuff he found. Hell yes we'd have collected "suspicious materials."
Come to think of it I still stop and check things out that I see laying along the road. A couple weeks ago I threw a big length of stainless steel exhaust system into the back of my pick-up. It had obviously fallen out from under someone's car and they didn't stop to get it so I figured it was up for grabs. You never know when you're going to need a nice chunk of 3" SS pipe out here on the farm. I'm damn sure glad no motherfucker was sitting up on the hillside with a .306 picking off the picker.

No comments: